Thursday, June 28, 2007

Banana On Feminist Issues

Why don't I care about Feminist issues? I don't get it. I care about everything else that's "progressive" but I just don't get motivated when in this area. Maybe it's because I'm lazy.

I think there is a part of me that secretly wishes that women didn't have to work. Ha ha. I know. I should remember all the ladies who fought for my "liberation." I should remember that when My grandmom went to college she could only decide between 2 things for a major; (1) education; or (2) sociology. She picked Sociology. Then after graduation, instead of marrying some guy who turned out to be the D.A. somewhere in North Carolina, she ran away from him when he proposed and she joined the Air Force -- and subsequently met my most awesome grandfather and got married and settled down.

After having babies, she had a nervous breakdown. Kind of like the lady from the Ya Ya Sisterhood (I can't remember the character's name), the Mother of the main character in that book. Ashley Judd played her in the movie.

Well grandmom had one, too. Something tells me it was because she wanted to get out there and do things that men do. You know? Work in the same fields as the men. Instead she owned a fabric store, and was unsatisfied with her life.

Shouldn't my grandmom's story motivate me to want to be "all that I can be" as a liberated woman? Well, it doesn't. I never wanted to play football with the boys and I don't want to work with them either. I just want to be a stay-at-home mom. Or I think I do. Maybe if I really was one I wouldn't want to be one. Who knows? bla bla bla

No comments: